Department of Neurobiology and Behavior
Facility for Imaging and Brain Research
University of California, Irvine
Applications are invited for a position at the level of tenure-track ASSISTANT PROFESSOR in the Department of Neurobiology and Behavior. In addition to joining one of the top neuroscience departments in the country, the successful candidate will be a core faculty member in UCI’s new Facility for Imaging and Brain Research (FIBRE). We seek outstanding candidates whose research uses advanced, innovative human MRI techniques to study topics that synergize with either human or animal-model research being done in the department. Applicants should hold a Ph.D., M.D., or equivalent degree, seek to establish a research program, and to contribute to teaching at both the graduate and undergraduate levels.
Information on the department is available at http://neurobiology.uci.edu and information on FIBRE is available at http://imaging.uci.edu. Applications completed by October 1, 2018 will be granted full consideration. Applications will continue to be accepted until December 1, 2018, but will only be considered if the positions has not yet been filled. For application instructions, please go to the Department of Neurobiology and Behavior Assistant Professor section at https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04719. Criteria for research, teaching, and diversity statement are available here:
Research Statement (3 pages). This statement should:
- Detail the candidate’s specific area of expertise, with a description of their contributions to the field
- Provide a detailed plan of their future independent research program, and how this program will be leveraged to obtain extramural funding.
- Indicate how the candidate’s research program will synergize with the research environment at UCI.
Teaching Statement (1 page). This statement should:
- Indicate the candidate’s teaching experiences to date, including experience with teaching/lecturing to undergraduates/graduate students, or other populations, as well as their areas of interest. This should also include mentorship that they have given to others in the line of research or outreach activities.
- Detail the candidate’s teaching approaches and philosophies, as to how they will engage in effective teaching strategies.
- Provide evidence (if any) of effectiveness of previous teaching.
Diversity Statement (1 page). The UC Statement on Diversity is available at: http://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/governance/policies/4400.html. Applicants will be evaluated on their required statements of their contribution to diversity. This statement should:
- Indicate how the candidate has demonstrated awareness of the issues faced by historically underrepresented or economically disadvantaged groups and the benefits of a diverse and inclusive faculty.
- Provide evidence (if any) of the candidate’s track record and success in activities aimed at reducing barriers in education or research for underrepresented or disadvantaged groups.
- Detail specific plans (if any) to contribute through campus programs, new activities, or through national or off-campus organizations.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. A recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity, UCI is responsive to the needs of dual career couples, supports work-life balance through an array of family-friendly policies, and is dedicated to broadening participation in higher education.