The Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (http://ecoevo.bio.uci.edu) invites applications for a faculty position at the level of Associate or Full Professor in the field of integrative physiology. We seek applicants who have established a laboratory that investigates the physiology of animals at multiple levels of organization with extramural support. The successful candidate is expected to build an independent, externally funded research program leading to innovations in the understanding of physiology. The candidate will also contribute to teaching and mentoring at the graduate and undergraduate levels
We are particularly interested in individuals with research that uses an integrative approach to investigate physical activity, exercise, or locomotion at the organismal level. This includes, but is not restricted to, the following areas: Behavioral Neurophysiology, Biomechanics, Physiological Genomics, Metabolomics, and Cardiopulmonary Physiology. The ideal candidate will complement existing strengths at UCI. The cluster of physiology faculty at UCI have a long-standing tradition of excellence in comparative physiology and anticipate future growth, particularly in areas related to physical activity, exercise, and locomotion. UCI hosts centers and initiatives with related interests including the Center for Complex Biological Systems, the Center for Exercise Medicine and Sports Sciences, the Beckman Laser Institute, and the UCI Microbiome Initiative.
The School of Biological Sciences is recognized as a national leader in the development of programs designed to increase the participation of underrepresented minorities (https://port.bio.uci.edu/about/) and is firmly committed to the ideals of equity, diversity, and inclusion. Career partners programs are available to meet the needs of dual-career academic partners. Subsidized faculty and staff housing and a Mortgage Origination Program are offered to facilitate the purchase of a home. UC Irvine (https://uci.edu/) is located 10 minutes from the coast and is the youngest member of the prestigious Association of American Universities. The city of Irvine is home to excellent parks, schools, entertainment opportunities, and a diverse citizenry.
UC Irvine offers an excellent salary, incentive and benefit program. Faculty rank and compensation is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply, please log onto UC Irvine’s RECRUIT located at https://recruit.ap.uci.edu/apply/JPF04988
Review of applications will begin January 11, 2019. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Inquiries about the position should be directed to the search chair, Matt McHenry (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applicants should complete an online application profile and upload the following application materials electronically to be considered for this position: curriculum vitae, cover letter, reprints of 3-5 relevant publications, and the names and contact information for 3 referees. Letters of reference are not required for the application, but will be requested for applicants under serious consideration by the search committee. In addition, the following statements are required and will be closely examined:
Criteria for research, teaching, and diversity statement are available here:
Research Statement (3 pages). This statement should:
- Detail the candidate’s specific area of expertise, with a description of their contributions to the field.
- Provide a detailed plan of their future independent research program, and how this program will be leveraged to obtain extramural funding.
- Indicate how the candidate’s research program will synergize with the research environment at UCI.
Teaching Statement (1 page). This statement should:
- Indicate the candidate’s teaching experiences to date, including experience with teaching/lecturing to undergraduates/graduate students, or other populations, as well as their areas of interest. This should also include mentorship that they have given to others in the line of research or outreach activities.
- Detail the candidate’s teaching approaches and philosophies, as to how they will engage in effective teaching strategies.
- Provide evidence (if any) of effectiveness of previous teaching.
Diversity Statement (1 page). The UC Statement on Diversity is available at: http://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/governance/policies/4400.html. Applicants will be evaluated on their required statements of their contribution to diversity. This statement should:
- Indicate how the candidate has demonstrated awareness of the issues faced by historically underrepresented or economically disadvantaged groups and the benefits of a diverse and inclusive faculty.
- Provide evidence (if any) of the candidate’s track record and success in activities aimed at reducing barriers in education or research for underrepresented or disadvantaged groups.
- Detail specific plans (if any) to contribute through campus programs, new activities, or through national or off-campus organizations.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. As a recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity, UCI is responsive to the needs of dual-career couples, supports work-life balance through an array of family-friendly policies, and is dedicated to broadening participation in higher education.