The Messaoudi lab in the Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry at UCI is looking to immediately fill one Jr. Specialist or Assistant Specialist position with an individual who is interested in contributing to projects investigating the impact of nutrition, infection and age on the immune system. This person will also contribute to the maintenance of laboratory equipment and inventories of reagents /lab supplies and training of lab personnel.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Performing standard immunological assays such as flow cytometry, ELISA, ELISPOT, luminex, to measure various aspects of immune responses under homeostasis and disease conditions.
· Willing to work with human samples and blood/tissues from non-human primate models.
· Perform standard molecular biology and cell culture experiments including Western Blot, qPCR, plasmid cloning, passaging cells and transfection.
· Generation of libraries for next-generation sequencing (RNA-Seq, ATAC-Seq, ChIP-Seq)
· Analyze experimental data and interpret results to contribute to manuscript and grants reports with the possibility of earning co-authorships.
· Maintains detailed notebook of all work-related activities.
· Ensure compliance with Environmental Health and Safety information as well as the standard operation procedures specific to each laboratory.
· Set up, adjust, calibrate, clean, maintain and troubleshoot equipment. Collaborates with Purchasing and may be responsible for negotiating with vendors.
· Helps with on boarding of new staff and willingness to train undergraduates/graduate students.
· Bachelor’s Degree in biology/microbiology/biochemistry with 2 years of lab experience or a Master’s degree.
· Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and be able to work with a wide variety of lab members in a team environment
· Computer literacy.
· Ability to analyze information and use logic to address work-related issues and problems.
· Attention to detail and be thorough in completing work tasks.
· Willingness to occasionally vary work schedules to accommodate urgent research needs such as coming in on weekends.
· Keen to learn new techniques.
Rank and salary will be determined based on qualifications and experience. Initial appointments are for a full-time 12-month period with annual renewal dependent on performance and funding availability.
Qualified candidates should submit their curriculum vitae, a cover letter, and the names and contact information of three references to the following on-line recruitment URL:
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.