The partnership between mentor and student is built upon trust, respect, and professionalism.
Students will be responsible for:
- Initiating and maintaining contact with your mentor.
- Setting realistic expectations regarding method and frequency of communication with your mentor.
- Communicating clearly your interests and needs, and working with your mentor to set realistic goals.
- Working with your mentor to achieve a specific goal.
- Receiving career and academic advice and constructive feedback about personal and professional skills.
- Learning about specific jobs, career paths, industries, and organizational cultures.
- Pursuing networking opportunities.
- Listening to your mentor.
Student Application for the BioSci Mentor Program
Welcome to the registration process. The 2017-2018 Mentor Program is slightly different from past years. This year, students have an opportunity to choose their top three mentor candidates, in order of preference, before being matched with a mentor.
Here are the steps for completing the mentee application:
- Complete Your Student Profile. Register at your earliest opportunity to participate in the program by completing your Student Profile Form below. Registration for students opens Monday, September 18 and goes through Tuesday, October 24, 2017.
- Review Potential Mentors. Review all posted mentor profiles to become familiar with potential mentors with whom you may be interested in being matched. Check back often, as additional mentors are continually added. CLICK HERE.
- Optional – Attend Student Info Session: For additional information on the program and sign-up process, attend the Mentor Program student information session: Wednesday, October 11, 2017, 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM, Nat Sci I, Room 1114
- Required – Attend the Meet & Greet Reception: This is an opportunity for students and potential mentors to meet each other in person prior to you selecting your top three mentor candidates. We suggest you review posted mentor profiles in advance of this event, so you have an idea with whom you’d like to meet. Students who have completed their online profile will receive an invitation with event details. SAVE THE DATE: October 17, 2017, 5:30PM to 8:00PM.
- Return Online to Indicate Your Top 3 Choices: Once you decide your top three choices for your potential mentor, return to your profile to complete this online process by indicating your choices in order of preference. Deadline: October 24, 2017.
- Contact Your Mentor: Once a match has been confirmed through the Mentor Program, you will be notified by email with the results. We recommend you then initiate contact with your mentor.
- Attend the Kickoff Event — for Matched Mentors and Mentees: Dean Frank M. LaFerla will provide an update on the Ayala School of Biological Sciences. We will also welcome UC Irvine BioSci alumna Tina S. Nova, Ph.D. as our guest keynote speaker for the evening. Dr. Nova is a life science industry veteran and is currently President & CEO of Molecular Stethoscope. In addition, matched mentors and mentees will have an opportuity to become acquainted over dinner. Matched mentors and mentees will receive an invitation with event details. SAVE THE DATE: November 16, 2017, 6:00PM to 7:30PM.
If you have not already read through the 2017-2018 Mentor Program Student Handbook, we suggest you do so.
- Registration for students opens Monday, September 18 and goes through Tuesday, October 17, 2017.
- Fill out your student profile at your earliest opportunity. We suggest you do so before the October 17 Meet & Greet Reception.
- Deadline to submit your top three choices for a mentor is October 24, 2017.
For more information about the Mentor Program, view the Mentor Handbook 2017-18- Handbook for Students.
We look forward to seeing you at the upcoming Mentor Program events.
Submit your profile now to participate!