Spring/Summer 2020 Updates
In response to COVID -19 all pre-health advisors are working remotely effective March 23, 2020 until further notice. At this time for all general health profession inquiries our preferred communication is through AliveChat and PPH- Fridays. To chat LIVE with an advisor during our regular walk-in hours visit https://www.bio.uci.edu/undergraduates/counseling/. Click on “CHAT WITH AN ACADEMIC ADVISOR.” Our office hours can also be found here.
Pre-Health Professions Hour (PPH) Fridays
Students are encouraged to join us for Pre-Health Professions Hour (PPH) hosted on even Fridays; weeks four, six, eight, and ten from 11:00AM – 11:50 AM. This is an open Q&A session drop-in for students with general questions. To join, register no later than Wednesday the week of your intended session. A confirmation ZOOM code will be provided via email the day prior to the session. Summer PPH-Fridays Dates: 7/31, 8/21, 8/28, 9/11.
Click here to register here for the next PPH Friday or copy & paste URL https://forms.gle/5bu6BFWFp6LWTy869
Health professions advising appointments are available in weeks three, four, five, six, and ten. During summer quarter, we are reserving health profession advising appointments for the following populations only
- students graduating this academic year by Spr/Su 2020.
- students active in the 2019-2020 application cycle
- students active in the current 2020-2021 application cycle
For populations listed above, to schedule an appointment please email one advisor directory to schedule. Advisors contact information can be found here. All advisors are pre-health advisors in addition to the specialties listed on the website. Appointments arranged will be conducted through Google Meets.
We plan to resume appointments for all other populations week three of fall 2020. Appointments are limited in the summer. We are working with incoming students at summer orientation.
Health Sciences Advising Introduction
We know that applying to health professional schools is a daunting task and takes an entire year to do. We also know that to be a good applicant you must start early in your college career to make sure you are a truly qualified applicant. We have tried to compile information here that will be useful to you both in the beginning of your time here and as you get closer to applying. Please also remember that all of the counselors in our office are trained Health Science Advisors. You can come in and see us at any time to talk about your application and strategy.
Download the Pre-Health Events Calendar to view weekly virtual and live events. Here students can register for virtual fairs and webinars hosted by various health profession associations and schools. The document is updated on a weekly basis. Visit frequently for updates.
Preparing for a Health Profession
- AADSAS – Associated American Dental Schools Application Service
- Dental School Requirements
- Dental schools – American Dental Education Association
- Mouthing Off: Blog of the American Dental Student Association
- Dental Applicant and Matriculation Statistics
Medical (Allopathic and Osteopathic)
- AMCAS – American Medical School Application Service
- Allopathic medical schools – Association of American Medical Colleges
- AAMC Video Interview Tool for Admissions (VITA) *new
- AACOMAS—American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service
- Osteopathic medical school –American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine
- Medical School Requirements
- Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR)
- Osteopathic Medical College Information Book
- Road map to medical school
- Medical Applicant and Matriculation Statistics
- Nursing programs and resources – American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- OPTOMCAS-Optometry Centralized Application Service
- Optometry School Requirements
- Optometry schools – Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry
- Optometry Admissions Blog
- PharmCAS—Pharmacy Centralized Application Service
- Pharmacy School Requirements – ref. PSAR Table 1, 6, & 8. and Course Pre-Requisites by School
- Pharmacy schools – American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- Pharmacy Is Right For Me
- PTCAS—Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service
- Physical Therapy programs – American Physical Therapy Association
- CASPA—Centralized Application Service for Physicians Assistant
- Physicians Assistant programs – Physicians Assistant Education Association
- PAEA Program Directory
- PA-CAT Admissions Entrance Exam *new
- SOPHAS—Schools of Public Health Application Service
- Public Health programs – Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health
- VMCAS—Veterinary Medical College Application Service
- Veterinary School Requirements
- Veterinary medical schools – American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges
Application Resources for All Health Professions
- Financial Assistance and Free Resources For Pre-Health Applicants
- How to ask for a Letter of Recommendation
- Clinical and Community Volunteer Opportunities
- Specialized Masters & Post Bacc. Programs