The School of Biological Sciences Mentor Program is a voluntary program created for students to explore career interests and engage in mutually beneficial, professionally oriented relationships with alumni and community members. UC Irvine BioSci undergraduate sophomore, junior, and senior students are eligible to participate in the program. If space is available, freshman will be considered.
BioSci created the Mentor Program to help college graduates not only survive, but be successful. This program pairs alumni and community professionals with students with similar interests. Mentors provide academic and career guidance, networking opportunities, and insights into the working world. They can help students answer such questions as: What can I do with my degree? Should I go to graduate or professional school? Where do I see myself in five years?
The Mentor Program gives our students an edge and enables them to distinguish themselves as they pursue graduate school and/or enter the workforce. Mentoring the next generation of biologists is an important part of our mission. Partnerships with industry and community members are invaluable in helping us educate students to become the world-changers of tomorrow.
The BioSci Mentor Program begins in the fall and lasts through the following May. To enroll in the program, all mentors and students must complete profile forms identifying their education, career path/goals, professional background, and personal interests
- Receive career and academic advice and constructive feedback about personal and professional skills.
- Learn about specific jobs, career paths, industries and organizational cultures.
- Develop networking skills and a professional network.
- Work with your mentor to achieve a specific goal.
- Share career expertise and experience the fulfillment that comes of guiding the new generation of biologists.
- Provide constructive feedback about your student’s personal and professional skills.
- Share knowledge about career paths, industries, jobs and organizational cultures.
- Facilitate networking and building a professional network that will help your student consider career choices and goals.
- Guide your student toward achieving a specific goal.
- Connect with the School of Biological Sciences.
Program News & Events
- Mentor Online Registration Period – Wednesday, September 5 through Friday, October 12, 2018.
- Student Online Registration Period – Wednesday, September 19 through Friday, October 12, 2018.
- Mentor Program Kickoff Event – Tuesday, October 16, 2018, 5:30 – 8:00 PM, Newkirk Alumni Center.
- Top Three Mentor Choices – Deadline for students to complete online process by indicating Top 3 Mentor choices is Wednesday, October 24, 2018.
- Matches and Emails – Mentors and students will be matched and notifications will be emailed to both mentors and mentees October 29 through November 9, 2018.
- Mentor and Mentee Career Night Panel #1 – Wednesday, January 16, 2019, UCI Student Center.
- Career Night Panel #2 and Mentor Program Year End Reception – Date and location to be determined.