At the UCI School of Biological Sciences, our faculty is made up of accomplished visionaries who believe in the power of your ideas.Although our Faculty is focused on their research to make the world a better place, they are also dedicated to training the next generation of talented Biologist. Driven by the School’s theme MIND | BODY | WORLD, they are also more than happy to help you realize those ideas. In fact this one-on-one attention and collaboration is unique to UCI, and nowhere else can you work alongside such bright and impassioned researchers who are making distinctive marks in their field. With this in mind, we invite you to learn more about what makes our professors and researchers great.
What makes our Faculty unique?
The UCI School of Biological Sciences faculty consists of many highly distinguished members who rank highly in the National Research Council faculty productivity rankings. Our prestigious professors and researchers have also received numerous international, national and campus awards through the years. Additionally, with the quality of junior faculty and recent hires, the continued excellence and standing of the School of Biological Sciences is very promising.
UC Irvine School of Biological Sciences has many faculty members with national and international recognitions, including:
- Six Fellows of the National Academy of Sciences
- Seven Fellows of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Two Fellows of the Royal Society
- 32 Fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Sciences.
Other interesting Biological Sciences faculty facts
- Five faculty members and the Dean hold Endowed Chairs or Professorships
- Three faculty members are Distinguished Professors
- Four faculty members are Chancellor’s Professors or Fellows
- Over the past four years, eight members of our faculty have received Distinguished Faculty Awards from the Academic Senate, including three awards for Research, three for University Service, and two for Teaching.
UC Irvine campus recognition
At the campus’ Celebration of Teaching event over the past five years:
- Two Biological Sciences faculty members have won Professor of the Year awards
- Two have received the TA Development Mentor of the Year Award
- Four of our graduate students have received the Most Promising Future Faculty Member Award.
- One faculty member has received the ASUCI Professor of the Year award an unprecedented 5 times.
The current UCI School of Biological Sciences Assistant Professors are also doing exceptionally well in grant funding. Furthermore, winning nationally competitive honors such as Sloan Young Investigator, Pew, Whitehall Foundation and National Science Foundation Career Awards.