Applicants are required to meet all of the following criteria to be eligible for consideration.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution
- Applicants currently in progress of completing their undergraduate studies must have degree conferred (no later than the spring term) before the start of the program.
- Permanent residence of the United States
- 3.0 minimum cumulative grade point average
- Less than 25 % of the pre-med/health requirements completed.
- Within these, a cumulative science GPA of 3.0 or recent positive academic trend is strongly recommended for a competitive candidacy.
- One year of English composition with minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Acceptable substitution: One year (two semester or three quarters) of English courses (lower and upper division writing) completed to satisfy bachelor’s degree requirements.
- Science Prerequisite with a minimum “B” letter grade: One term of preparatory or introductory chemistry within the last four years
- Acceptable substitution completed within the last four years: One term of general chemistry or single-variable calculus
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation required. One letter must be from a faculty member from which you have earned a letter grade and earned undergraduate credits. Maximum three letters of recommendation.
We are seeking highly motivated, academically consistent students that can show evidence of compassion as well as commitment to medicine and the community. It is our goal to support empathetic pre-health students who possess a genuine passion for medicine and a desire to aid under representative communities become competent future healthcare professionals. Our application open mid-October annually and we encourage prospective to apply early by our recommended deadline, February 15. We have a rolling admissions policy. Competitive applicants will be invited for interviews on an ongoing basis.
Recommendations for competitive candidacy
#1 Completion of any of the following courses listed below with a minimum grade of B+ or higher
- Preparatory or Introductory Chemistry
- General Biology with our without lab
- Two quarters or semesters of Single-Variable Calculus or one semester of single-variable calculus and statistics
It is important the applicant does not exceed the 25% pre-med/health maximum coursework allowance to remain eligible for the program.
#2 Academic record that shows evidence of handling a rigorous curriculum.
#3 Academic record shows evidence of upward or consistent positive trend
#4 Demonstrate aptitude for science course with a cumulative GPA of ≥ 3.20.
#5 Committed Clinical or Volunteer Experience (three months or longer)
#6 Community Service & Outreach
To remain in the program, students must meet the Progress Expectancy Contract requirements:
- Maintain full-time enrollment with a minimum of 12 units per quarter
- Earn a minimum “B-” or better in all classes
- Earn a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 by end of first Fall quarter
- Earn a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.3 by end of first Spring quarter and quarters following