Postdoctoral Scholar – Land and Water Stewardship in a Changing Climate (Allison lab)
The Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at UC Irvine is hiring a postdoctoral scholar to conduct research on land and water stewardship as part of the Wildland-Urban Interface Climate Action Network (WUICAN). The appointment is for two years at 100% time, with a comprehensive benefits package. Continuation beyond initial appointment will be based on performance and availability of funding. Salary is based on UCI salary scales and dependent on qualifications and experience.
With funding from the California Climate Action grant program, WUICAN builds a network of community groups, academic partners, and Tribal nations to address the impacts of climate change on California landscapes. The postdoctoral scholar will work closely with a diverse team of community leaders, faculty, academic staff, graduate students, and other postdoctoral scholars to co-design and conduct research that facilitates improved land and water stewardship in a changing climate. The responsibilities of this position include:
- Co-design research questions related to land and water stewardship that address the needs of communities impacted by climate change in California.
- Collect and analyze quantitative and qualitative data on ecosystems impacted by climate changes such as drought, wildfire, heat waves, floods, and precipitation extremes.
- Collaborate with environmental justice organizations, Indigenous communities, and academics from multiple disciplines, including environmental science, law, social science, and the humanities.
- Disseminate research outcomes through peer-reviewed articles, reports, presentations, workshops, conferences, and other media.
- Mentor graduate and/or undergraduate student researchers.
Interested applicants should submit: (a) a cover letter explaining your relevant background, interest in this project, and your career goals following postdoctoral work; (b) current curriculum vitae; (c) doctoral dissertation abstract; (d) inclusive excellence activities statement; and (e) names and contact information of three references.
Apply to the following on-line recruitment URL to submit the material requested:
Please direct inquiries to Steven Allison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
As a University employee, you will be required to comply with all applicable University policies and/or collective bargaining agreements, as may be amended from time to time. Federal, state, or local government directives may impose additional requirements.
The salary range for this position is $60,000-$71,952. The posted UC salary scales set the minimum pay determined by experience level. See Postdoctoral Scholar Scale for the salary range. “Off-scale salaries”, i.e. a salary that is higher than the published system-wide salary at the designated experience, are offered when necessary to meet competitive conditions.